Thursday, January 7, 2010

Task 17 - GoogleMAPS

I love having access to the current range of online mapping tools such as Google Maps and competing products such as Whereis.com, RACQ Trip Planner, Bing Maps (especially their new Bird's eye feature) and "real" GIS resources like eBimap (a UQL subscription e-resource). Another resource I only discovered yesterday is OpenStreetMap.

One feature of all these resources which has been worth its weight in gold in recent times has been Google Map's StreetView. While planning for a recent European holiday StreetView was invaluable. It was actually very strange when we arrived in supposedly unfamiliar locations like Paris, London, Edinburgh and Glasgow since StreetView left us with the very real impression that we'd been there before.

Google Docs is also a nice resource, a very real alternative to MS Office. The only limitation is the need to remain online to access resources but even this is no longer an issue with an offline feature now available for Google Docs using Google gears. Having recently purchased a new iMac and not inclined to purchase the corresponding MS Office package I toyed with the idea of using Google Docs as an alternative. In the end though I went with OpenOffice since it is an application that is actually installed on to the computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment